It’s that time of year when the hedgerows are in full bloom with the elegant white flowers of the Elderflower standing proud of the hedgerow so it’s time to go foraging. These beautiful flowers are only around for a limited time so don’t delay – go and pick them today. Take a couple of large plastic bags or a basket and carefully cut the best-looking heads off and use them straight away for the best results.
- 30 elderflower heads
- 1.7 litres/3 pints boiling water
- 900g/2lb caster sugar
- 50g/2oz citric acid (available from chemists)
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 3 lemons, sliced
- Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
- Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
- Add the citric acid, the orange and lemon slices, and then the flowers.
- Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through some muslin and transfer to sterilised bottles.
If you would like to read more blogs like this, then head over to our news section for more recipes on food and drink to cater for all times of the year.