Pheasant Salad Recipe
Have you still got lots of pheasant breasts crowding your freezer? Here is a recipe that’s perfect for a Jubilee or Olympic themed street party (just increase the quantities). It’s quick and easy to make and adds a modern twist to Coronation Chicken.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 4 pheasant breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- zest ½ lime and 2 tsp juice
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Here’s what to do:
- Toss the pheasant in the oil and 1 tsp of the curry powder, season and mix well to coat. Put the pheasant on a foil-lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven (180 – 200C) for 15 -20 mins until cooked through. Leave to cool a little, then slice.
- The dressing: combine the remaining curry powder with the yoghurt, mayonnaise, mango chutney, lime zest and juice in a bowl (add a drop of water if it is a little thick), season to taste.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves on 2 plates. Top with the mango and cooked pheasant, then drizzle with the dressing. Scatter with the red onion and sesame seeds before serving.
Tip: If you only have whole pheasants left in the freezer, combine the olive oil and curry powder (you will probably need to double the quantities of both from the recipe above), then lift the skin and rub over the pheasant breast underneath, rub more oil and curry powder over the outside of the bird, season to taste. Cover and roast for 30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, carve and serve as above.