Waterproof smocks – Why choose a smock?
The innovative pull-on waterproof smock was developed to meet the demands of the lone stalker out in the mountains in harsh wet conditions.
Specifically designed to remove the full-length centre/front zip (which was always a potential leak point when crawling or lying on your front), an anorak-styled smock is a great durable and functional alternative to wearing a stalking jacket in all weathers. For total waterproof protection they usually have a longer mid-thigh length for greater coverage and protection than a jacket. This keeps any rain running off your top from soaking your thighs and provides better coverage when crawling through or lying on wet ground, as is very common when stalking.
A high-performance smock provides shelter and warmth in all weathers, ensuring you stay dry and comfortable with the ability to keep moving. A waterproof smock is becoming an increasingly popular choice for both men and women, usually featuring an adjustable peaked hood for maximum protection, robust side zips for rapid heat venting during intense activity and generous, easily-accessible storage for essential kit. A smock tends to be lightweight and can often be easily packed into your backpack when not needed, which is particularly ideal for changeable conditions or long days.
Many brands have developed their own highly waterproof and breathable membrane system and technologies. This helps to ensure that smocks can be manufactured at an affordable cost, making them accessible for everyone.
To get the most out of your day out on the hill you need to embrace the changeable weather and be well prepared to stay dry and comfortable throughout. A good waterproof smock provides all the features you need.
Waterproof smocks are ideal for stalking, hiking, photography and generally exploring the great outdoors.
When looking for your perfect waterproof smock, here are some of the top features to look out for:
- Formidably tough outer material for protection from abrasion
- Highly waterproof for the ultimate protection
- Breathable allowing the moisture to escape without letting the water penetrate the material
- Extremely lightweight, strong and versatile
- Underarm/side zips for added ventilation when active
- Articulated elbows for a full range of movement
- Adjustable cuffs to hold in the warmth and keep the elements out
- Fixed peaked hood
- Noiseless outer to allow you to get close to nature
- Sealed seams for 100% waterproof protection
- Built-in stretch for freedom of movement
- Hydrophilic technology to repel excess water and dirt keeping the smock lightweight and performing at its best
- Large spacious front pocket
- Open zip for easy of access and ventilation