No Christmas is complete without a delicious and festive cake on the table! Katharine, from ArdMoor’s IT department, shares her favourite yuletide recipe – the Christmas Spruce Cake.
This cake is easy to make and can be done in any tin – perfect if you have left the Christmas catering until the last minute. Serve with mulled wine to be extra festive!
225 grams soft butter (plus more for greasing)
300 grams caster sugar
6 large eggs
350 grams plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250 grams plain fat-free yoghurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1.Prepare the cake tin by buttering liberally and preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Combine all the ingredients except the icing sugar in a large bowl and blend until smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
4. Bake for 45-60mins until golden and a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. You may need to put a piece of foil over the cake after 15 minutes to prevent it browning too much.
5. Turn the cake out and allow to cool before dusting with icing sugar.
6. This cake can be stored for several days in an airtight container and any leftovers make a lovely pear and ginger trifle!
To see more of our country cooking ideas, visit the Recipes section of our blog.